The lessons of leadership taught throughout the Overcome Academy are made possible by a selection of handpicked civilian leaders and mentors who have been successful in their field of work. Students of the Overcome Academy are guided through the process of identifying a new purpose and path for their lives and diligently exercising a disciplined plan of how to accomplish it.
Mentors are selected and matched with a specific student based on their individual goals and mission statement. Mentors believed to be a good fit for a particular student are contacted regarding the opportunity and if accepted, are educated about the mentorship process. We see your role as mentor as a vehicle for reinforcing the content taught during the two-week curriculum and to provide the guidance, oversight and accountability necessary to enable success.
Throughout the course, students are taught how to become leaders, how to build structure within their own lives, how to lead themselves, and how to then take that knowledge and use it to lead others. We are currently seeking mentors in all industries and fields. Mentors are not required to be local to the Hampton Roads area and may be located anywhere in the world.
Guaranteed to be a rewarding experience, this mentorship will not only be rewarding for you, but you will also be contributing to the Overcome Academy’s mission of helping to Develop the Next Greatest Generation.
- One-year commitment as a mentor. Although we hope your relationship with your mentee will blossom into a lifelong partership, we also recognize that every person and relationship is unique and that not every partnership may be a perfect fit.
- Commitment of 4-6 hours per month dedicated to mentorship. Weekly phone/Skype calls with the mentee should be expected, during which a review of the plan and progress will be conducted. During these meetings, mentors are expected to offer encouragement, networking opportunities and serve as an accountability partner. We ask that you never go more than two weeks without checking in with your mentee.
- Advice for your mentee should be in alignment with the principles taught in the Overcome Academy. We are teaching our students how to lead themselves to success coupled with a clear goal-driven plan. We are teaching them to push through and overcome the adversity in life, to never quit, to keep an open mind in how we communicate with those who may not have the same views as us, and to develop tolerance and patience as they move toward their goals.
- A one-hour mentorship class will be held prior to commencement. We ask all mentors to make themselves available for a conference call with Jason Redman to receive an overview of the Overcome Academy mentorship program, our goals for success and expectations of mentors. It will also provide an opportunity for mentors to express their questions, comments or concerns.
- Mentor must be available for a one-hour introduction to their mentee during the first week of the Overcome Academy (date and time TBD). Local mentors should be present to meet their mentee in person and out-of-town mentors may do so via Skype. Your mentee will have completed the first week of the Overcome Academy and will have identified his/her new mission statement, new life mission objective and a plan to move toward those objectives. This purpose of this meeting will be to discuss this new plan, opportunities, potential initial advice and just to get to know your mentee. Your mentee should offer options for scheduling future meetings.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in your industry/field. Mentors should be well-established professionals in their field of expertise and be able to provide as many crucial dos as they can don’ts to someone just starting out in the business
If you are interested in becoming an Overcome Academy mentor, please click below.
If you have any additional questions please email us.